The summer is coming to an end, but that doesn't mean fleas and ticks no longer pose a problem for your beloved pets. September still offers plenty of warm days and opportunities for these little critters to cozy up to your four-legged friends. Here are a few tips and tricks to keep ticks and fleas away from your pets.
- Prevention products are worth the investment. Stop ticks and fleas before they get the chance to make a home in your house. Topical or oral prevention products are an easy way to keep your dogs and cats pest-free.
- Keep grass short to prevent a tick habitat in your yard. Ticks are attracted to woods, shrubs, tall grass, and weeds. Make sure to keep up with your landscaping to prevent ticks clinging to leaves in your backyard.
- Inspect animals immediately after hikes and walks. Check between their toes for ticks, under the tail, and around their face, as dogs usually sniff low to the ground while exploring. Check for fleas where fur is short, like your pup's belly and armpits.
- Remove a tick right away. If you do spot a tick, remove it right away to prevent illness in your animal. Apply rubbing alcohol, and make sure the entire tick is removed.
- Seek treatment if signs are present. Don't worry: there are a number of great products out there once fleas and ticks are discovered in your house. Carpet powders, shampoos, sprays, and combs are some of the methods to treat your home and animals.
Signs & Symptoms
Of course, excessive scratching is a telltale sign that your animals have fleas. Some other symptoms of fleas include hair loss, pale gums, and tapeworms. Ticks can transmit diseases that can cause fever, anemia, and weakness. Not all ticks spread Lyme disease, but it's best to remove the full tick as soon as possible to avoid serious illness in your pet.
Summer break may be over, but fall brings plenty of opportunities for outdoor fun with your pets: strolling through pumpkin patches, trick or treating, and apple picking. Don't be intimidated by flea and tick prevention. Contact us to find the right flea and tick products for your furry family!